USAA Trial Attorney (San Diego) in San Diego, California
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Trial Attorney for our San Diego, CA facility.
Provides legal services of a simple and moderate nature to clients. Handles simple to moderately complex levels of lawsuits through trial, arbitration or appeal. May handle some complex litigation upon assignment.
- Handles simple to complex insurance defense cases through trial, arbitration or appeal for clients on cases assigned by Claims Litigation Operations personnel. Provides legal advice and strategy on assigned cases. May also provide advice and handle pre-litigation matters.
- Prepares legal pleadings, motions, statements, memoranda, trial briefs and other legal documents on assigned cases. Provides legal advice and representation to clients, and appears in court as required. May attend mediations or conduct direct settlement negotiations with plaintiffs' attorneys regarding cases in suit.
- Provides in house training for P&C claims personnel and claims litigation personnel regarding changes in litigation and/or appropriate processes and procedures.
- Acquires and applies appropriate knowledge of relevant legal/litigation discipline. May assist with complex litigation cases.
- Evaluates case specific legal issues and directs appropriate resources and responses.
- Provides guidance to team members and claims department related to file or claim related legal issues. May serve as a mentor to team members and administrative support.
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 4+ years of experience practicing law handling personal injury or civil litigation or trial cases
- Licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction(s) served
- Familiarity with court systems in geographic area being served
- Substantial First chair jury trial experience in personal injury matters
- Ability to handle defense of personal injury matters from inception through trial
- Ability to perform online legal research and advanced knowledge of relevant legal data resources
- Manage execution. Focus on customers.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Trial Attorney (San Diego) CA-San Diego R0017945